Monday, September 22, 2008

Amazing Grace



(photo taken by Don Franke the night before Ike hit the Texas coast)






What a couple of weeks it has been! For the last fourteen days or so, we have, yes all the way over here in Qatar, been watching the news and following the path, and now the aftermath, of Hurricane Ike. It has been a bit unnerving, knowing that many of our friends and loved ones were potentially in harm's way and are now still without electricity, a commodity we so often take for granted. Crazy as it sounds, I wanted to be in Sugar Land, hunkered down with my chicks and the rooster. Just not knowing is sometimes the worst part. As it turns out, we were personally blessed...Will weathered the storm just fine. In fact, he went to a friend's parent's house and may have eaten better than usual! Not much damage to the old homestead. Just what you see pictured (thanks to Barb Pepper for the photos) and a few shingles on the lawn. Will has been in charge of getting a company in for fence repair and has not gotten anyone out just yet. However, in a joint effort with handymen David and Kendrick James, Will got the fence back up enough for Rocky to return to "his" backyard. (Hey, D and K....we owe you a steak dinner in Dec.!) We continue to wonder about friends that we have not yet connected with since Ike. I have sent some emails and attempted to make phone calls, but I know that those services are spotty at best. I will keep trying!












I know that my little story is nothing compared to the devastation experienced along the Texas coast. Just the same, I have a story to share that is amazing and somewhat close to home.



We have some wonderful neighbors here in Doha. God put us in just the right spot when He guided Keith to choose the pink villa down the street from our new and dear friends, David (Buck) and Peggy Buchanan, and their pink villa. David and Peggy are from La Belle, a small town outside of Beaumont. They, of course, watched the storm with a deeply vested interest. Not only do they own a home in La Belle and property in Crystal Beach, but they have many relatives in the area. I wish I could say that their homes were spared from the wrath of the wind, rain and storm surge, but I cannot. There has been considerable damage to their property, as well as that of their relatives. However, the Buchanans knew that all of their dear ones were safe...well, almost all of their dear ones. Amber, one of David and Peggy's daughters in law (who I have been blessed to meet!) had not yet heard from an aunt and uncle she is very close to. They were, of course, quite worried about the well being of Aunt June and Uncle John.


Peggy was glued to her computer for days after the storm, searching and looking for pictures, especially in the Crystal Beach area. You will not believe what she found, on her computer, on the Yahoo news site, in her office, all the way over here on the other side of the world.





This was the first message that anyone in the family had gotten about Aunt June and Uncle John! And it came from Peggy in Doha!



Peggy made another amazing find. She discovered yet another random aerial photo that someone had taken of the road that leads to their Crystal Beach property. A little zooming action and Peggy could see that the roof was still on their boathouse on the bay! They love that property and it holds many precious memories for them. The Buchanan's are now back in Texas, reunited with their family and assessing the damage. Our hearts prayers are with them. (stories told with the permission of Peggy)


What can I say? Even in the midst of tragedy, God is big and mighty and awesome. His grace is amazing! I continue to hold all of you at home in the Houston area in my heart and my prayers. Looking forward to connecting with many of you soon.


P.S. I can remember another hurricane named Gilbert that hit the Texas coast 20 years ago. There was some amazing grace associated with that storm, too! While everyone was evacuating the Lake Jackson area, I was firmly in place....in labor at Brazosport Hospital! Jake came into the world on Sept. 15, 1988. Right in the big middle of it all. Our lives have never been the same. We love you, Jake!



3 comments:

Ellen said...

Kim, thanks for sharing. It really is Amazing Grace, isn't it?

continued blessings to you and yours...

Lynn said...

Hi Kim. thanks for sharing your blog with me. It's great! My blog is middleeastcrazies.blogspot.com

Kathy said...

Hi, Kim~
I'm betting Jake is very thankful you did not name him 'Gilbert.' Or is that his middle name.
Love hearing your life happenings in Doha.
Kathy