Friday, October 10, 2008

Moses Walked Here!

View of Promised Land from Mt. Nebo



'Go up unto....Mt. Nebo in Moab, across from Jericho, and view Canaan, the land I am giving the Israelites as their own possession.' Duet. 32:49


We had a wonderful journey to Jordan last week during our Eid holiday. What an amazing place! We flew into Amman on Wednesday, were picked up by our smiling driver Ra'ed and enjoyed an Arabic meal at the balcony restaurant of his friend. We were treated to a lovely meal and a view of the city.














Early Thursday morning we started out for Mt. Nebo. Wow! We were able to stand and see the Promised Land much the way that Moses would have seen it for the first time. The site also contained an old church that is being excavated and some floor mosaics that we were able to view. After taking in the landscape in that part of the world, I have a new compassion for the woes of the Israelites who wandered in the desert!

serpant cross - Mt. Nebo


After Mt. Nebo, we took a quick trip to Madaba and entered the Church of St. George to see the oldest existing mosaic map of the Bible Lands. It was beautiful, but Greek to me!



Our final stop of the day was the Crusader Castle at Karak. We explored every nook and cranny of that huge place...my guys love that crusader history stuff.




We finished off our day on the balcony of our hotel in Petra and enjoyed the wonderful sunset over the mountains. I had to keep pinching myself. Was I really there???

4 comments:

Just Me said...

Kim...did you photoshop those clouds in?? I love the clear skies of Doha, but I also miss those puffy white clouds. Nice pics...welcome home!

C said...

Wow, What an awesome trip! Tell all the guys I said hello. Chris Scherwin

C said...

Wow, What an awesome trip! Tell all the guys I said hello. Chris Scherwin

Sher said...

I loved the picture of Keith and Sam on those rocks. It was a meaningful adventure for you. One more to add to our to do list... Just being that close to the real thing brings chills to me.
Sher