Our first Egyptian field trip took us to the the West Bank in Luxor, with visits to Valley of the Queens, Valley of the Kings (where
we entered King Tut's tomb), the funerary temple of Queen Hatshepsut and the Colossi of Memnon. (Now, that's a mouthful!) Next, we crossed over to the East bank and took a gander at the incredible Luxor Temple. Amazing! I was blown away by what I saw this first day, but mostly by the fact that so much of the temple ruins remain standing after 3ooo y
ears. As you can imagine, I snapped and snapped until I could snap no more! (Actually, I never did stop taking pictures...even to the point of clicking away out the van window on our way back to the airport at the end of our trip!) Day Two and we were again on the East Bank of Luxor, this time to see the Karnak Temple. (I cannot type that name without thinking of Johnny Carson and his impression of the Amazing Karnak. Are you with me?!) After visiting that amazing place, it was back to the ship and we set sail for Edfu. The morning of Day Three we were taken by horse drawn carriage to Edfu Temple.
Wow! More cruising in the afternoon, until we docked at Kom Ombo. We quickly made our way to the Kom Ombo Temple, which was shared by two goddesses. Who in the world would have ever thought that two go
ddesses could live together in one temple?? Day Four brought us to Aswan where we explored the Temple of Philae, but only after commuting by boat to the island on which it rests. Throw in the Aswan Dam and the Granite Quarries where granite was extracted for obelisks and the like, and you can call it a day. Despite the many temples we saw on this journey, we never felt like we were seeing 'just one more temple". Each one was unique in design, location and, of course, history. Watch out, Indiana Jones!

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment